Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Sable City or, It's Going to be a Good Year

Why is 2013 going to be so freaking great? I just discovered a new fantasy series to love, and there are FOUR OF THEM. And a fifth is in the works.

But here's where I get all 2AM promo spot on you - Wait! There's more! The Sable City - the first book by M Edward McNally  - is free.

FREE. As in, no money at all, for a long, wonderful read with maps (have I ever mentioned how much I love maps?) and amazing characters.

Now, here's my deal with fantasy. I need to have some urban tie in or some serious characterization going to engage me. If the action is all some heavily-muscled dude holding up his longbow and shouting, "By the mighty beard of Thredmund, I shall defeat thee!" then I'm out of there.

Ditto if the women are all gorgeous warriors who fight in G-strings and bras. Please.

However, the main character, Tilda (short for Matilda) Lanai is real. I was engaged right away when she took a spill out of a fourth floor window during a training exercise and sloshed her way back up to the gym to complete the fight. No less exciting was the following scene, where she tries to calm a wounded horse with an apple.

Plus, one of my current characters is called Matilda, so I Love Her Now.
Map! Map! *swoons*

The other character that I've met so far, a dwarf known as Block or Cornerstone (since he resembles a cube,) is amazing as well. He is tough as nails, and when he must select someone to help him on a long quest, he thinks of his student, Tilda. His grudging selection of the girl is perfectly done.

I'm hoping to come back with a promo for the series, but I'll check in from time to time to let you know how The Sable City is coming along. It's a long read, so I am charging up my Kindle for a long winter's coze.

6 comments:

Johanna Garth said...

Characters with flaws are so much more interesting and, as you said, real, then those perfect princesses who do battle in g-strings!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun read. I like fantasy of all tyes (yes, even g-string fighting princesses) but I'm intrigued by the block like drawf!

Krista McLaughlin said...

Sounds like a great series!

Fighting princesses in a g-string, those are uncomfortable to look at let alone wear! Definitely a man's ideal fantasy book. Lol!

David M. Brown said...

Loved Sable City. Haven't read the other books in the series yet but fully intend to in due course :)

McNally writes as good as, if not better, than some traditionally published fantasy authors

Alison DeLuca said...

It's true, David - he really does!

Tonia said...

This is cool!